Installation Issues

Mar 8, 2007 at 2:13 PM
I downloaded the MSI file and when I try to execute the same, it gives me an error saying that the installation was interrupted. Tried downloading again - same error. Anybody facing this problem?
Coordinator
Mar 8, 2007 at 5:53 PM

panayak wrote:
I downloaded the MSI file and when I try to execute the same, it gives me an error saying that the installation was interrupted. Tried downloading again - same error. Anybody facing this problem?

What configuration (Windows version, etc..) are you using?
Mar 8, 2007 at 9:40 PM
vista compatibility planned?
Mar 9, 2007 at 8:02 AM
Windows Vista Ultimate (the best Operating System in the whole world) :) - Couldn't resist that.

If this MSI is not Vista compatible, is there a way the source can be zipped and put up?
Mar 9, 2007 at 4:39 PM
thanks panayak for trying this out.

The MSI does work on vista - it's just that the Vista User Account Control gets in the way ... :(
Hopefully (crossing fingers) VS2005 copes with this problem in their setup project soon (since that's what's used to build the MSI).

Here's what you need to do.
a. when you agree to the license for download, it raises a save or run dialog - save the MSI to your desktop
b. after you've downloaded the MSI, go to Start | All Programs | Accessories and then right click on command prompt. Choose Run as administrator from the popup menu
c. in the opened up command prompt go type \users\<your user name>\desktop\liveboxsetup.msi - this executes Windows Installer under the administrator context and gets you unblocked.

Let us know if this works - and sorry about the inconvenience. it's VS2005's fault :P

As for the zip, if you go to the source code tab in codeplex, and then click the down arrow you get a zip snapshot at each stage of the source code. You can also browse into the source code by clicking browse from he source code tab.
Mar 9, 2007 at 6:20 PM
Edited Mar 9, 2007 at 9:13 PM
kojikato, followed the steps you posted but got the setup/os message again. I'm available for testing this out today in vista, so let me know if you need anything. thanks.
Mar 9, 2007 at 9:24 PM
jflouret just reported that to me too - he's close to me so I'm trying to see the repro on his environment. He's going to do that like an hour from now. Once we know the cause, i'll post back here, as well as update the wiki faq so people don't need to get caught in the same trap. Many thanks for your post - really appreciate it.
Mar 12, 2007 at 5:51 PM
I've found it!! (the problem).

Thanks to jflouret for letting me remote desktop into his environment.
You need to make sure that you have the the optional "IIS 6 Management Compatibility" option installed within IIS7. This installs an API for the new configuration system that is compatible with the old Metabase APIs (which is what VS 2005 uses). You can select this using the "Turn Windows Features on or Off" option in the Vista Control Panel:
Please read ScottGu's blog for a more thorough coverage @ http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/09/19/Tip2F00Trick3A00-Using-IIS7-on-Vista-with-VS-2005.aspx.

I'll update the faq entry to reflect this information.